THE STORY BEHIND THE SASOL GTC CHAMPIONSHIP
Introducing Global Touring Cars a revolutionary concept to South African and Global Motorsport – Affordable Serious Racing!Global Touring Cars exists to create a revival in South African Circuit Racing.
To excite and enthuse motorsport fans and to run a professional and sustainable race series that will deliver on its promises.
By bringing back professionalism to the sport, partners can expect a return on investment, because GTC understands that manufacturers, sponsors and teams need to ensure their marketing and promotional spend delivers results.
We will work with the teams and sponsors to actively create opportunities and new ideas to ensure everything possible is done to raise the profile of our sport and drive customer advocacy to attract new fans to the brands and teams that participate in the series.
We will professionally manage the series to ensure we create a sustainable, viable business model where all stakeholders will benefit from the series and re-develop the industry to regain the prosperity and attention we previously enjoyed.
GTC Africa is based on the principles of some of the world’s most successful motorsport series, the likes of which have not been seen on the African continent for many years.
- The series will offer an affordable form of serious racing – two concepts which are normally at odds with each other.
- The purchase price and running cost of a GTC car will be less than existing top line motorsport series in SA, but offer exponentially more car, excitement and value for money which means that many of the countries top line teams and drivers will be attracted to GTC Africa.
- This will result in the creation of a formula consisting of South Africa’s top driving talent competing against in each other in globally relevant racing cars.
- For the first time since the Super Touring Car series held in South Africa during the 1990’s, the country will have a Globally relevant racing series that comprises a field of world-class 2.0 litre Turbo powered, racing cars that fans and consumers alike will be able to identify with.
- The GTC cars will feature a common Chassis, running gear, a single ECU to control performance, spec tyres, suspension and many other components, ensuring the cost of building and running the cars is kept to a minimum.
- The benefit of this is that the common frame and running gear is maintained ensuring costs are kept to a minimum and performance between cars is maximised, but teams, drivers and motor manufacturers can decide on what make or model they would like to run.